Saturday, October 19, 2013

Life's twilight comes



Peter P. Wiebe III poem  read by Peter Rahn, grandson, at the Wiebe reunion 2013 in southern Alberta. It was written a few weeks before his death.

Translation by Katie Funk Wiebe



At life’s twilight
Life’s twilight comes,
life’s journey ends--
the life God gave me,
the life I loved.

Once I knew springtime,
full of bliss and  joy;
it beckoned me forward
to keep reaching, striving.

The womb of experience
birthed songs of delight
for each new  stage
of my life’s calling.

Despite setbacks and pain,
on the steep heights
paths opened broadly--
a giant was  passing!

High on those lofty heights,
life’s goals attained,
praise paeans  broke forth
announcing these triumphs.

Fly high the banners!
I  could hardly restrain
the urge to keep doing,
the need to create.

There, there, on the heights,
near  heaven’s glories
came  the signal to turn.
Hesitantly, reluctantly,
I heard the firm “Step back!”
“Step back?”  No other way.
Step back, step down
from forward reaching.

“Let go.” The word was clear.
No more: “Let there be...!”
Back to dust whence I came;
the grave’s where I belong,
my final resting place,
the end of climbing
higher, yet higher.
The end of soul’s birthings.

Life’s twilight has come,
Life’s toilings ended,
The life God gave me,
The life I loved. – April 17, 1951 a few weeks before his death


Es kommt die Wende
Es kommt die Wende,
Es kommt das Ende
Von deinem Leben,
Das Gott gegeben.

Einst war es Fruehling
Voll wonnger Fuehling,--
Erzeugte Leben
Und Aufaertsstreben.

Im Bildungschleime
Erstanden Keime
Fuer jede Stufe
In dem Berufe.

Trotz vielem Wehe
Zur hohen Hoehe
Sich Wege bahnten
Wie beim Giganten.

Dort in den Wipfeln
Das Lebens Gipfeln,
Von dem Gelingen
Loblieder singen.

Beschwingt die Fluegeln!
Kaum kannst du zuegeln
Den Geist des Schaffens
Und Gier des Raffens.

Dort wand die Hoehe
Die Himmelsnaehe—
Nun musst mit Grauen
Da abwaerts schauen.

Herunter Steigen
Von dem Erzeugen.
Zurueck, du weisst es,
“Zurueck!” so heisst es,

Nicht mehr: “Es werde!”
Zurueck zur Erde!
Im Erdenbette
Ist deine Staette

Wo fast du liegst.
Von hier aus stiegest
Du nicht zu hoehen
Im Geisteswehen –

Dann kam die Wendung
Das schaffens Endung,
Der Schluss vom Leben
Das Gott gegeben.      Peter P. Wiebe, April 17, 1951





No comments:

Post a Comment