Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why, why. why ......



Living many, many  years gives me time to ponder many things. Like a young child, I have boldness to keep asking why.

1.      Why does a blow to a man’s crotch provoke  hilarious laughter? Just wondering. 

2.      Why must women flex one knee slightly when posing for a photo and men can stand straight and tall? What’s wrong with standing firmly on two feet? 

3.      Why, when  athletes are asked to comment on a game,  out comes  mumbled syllables: “We didwhatwehadda do .... haddado ..... haddado ....”

4.      Why does a teen shows obvious terror when a customer hands over a $20 bill  and the charge is $13.62—and no computer?

5.      Why do movie directors have the leading lady wear stiletto heels while fleeing from the villain over cobblestones while he is wearing hob-nailed boots?

6.      Why are deaths of in-the-womb babies considered murder  and killing of  out-of-the-womb grownups in combat considered okay?

7.      “Tell me a little bit about  ....” releases a flood of words, as if a hydrant has  broken. “Little bit” is no longer just a few words. Why? 

8.      Why has the word  “sin” almost disappeared from our vocabulary? Instead I hear “Everyone makes mistakes,” “I goofed,”  “I’m not perfect.”

9.       I know that language changes. It’s a living thing, but the changes should make sense.  Why is “Jane gave the balls to Betty and myself” acceptable in modern parlance?  I won’t even mention the difference between “lie” and “lay.” 

10.   The ancient scribe of Proverbs  wrote:  “There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of man with a  maiden.”

No one can trace exactly  the eagle’s flight, the snake’s slithering, the ship’s path in the sea.  But I think he was pondering a man’s courtship of a woman.  Like the others, it can’t be  described exactly.

Courtship is sometimes slow, but always wonderful, mysterious, and memorable.  It can’t be replicated. 

My question:  Why has courtship disappeared from our society?

No comments:

Post a Comment